Monday, March 7, 2011

Callie's Baby Shower, Cake and Cupcakes

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending the nicest baby shower I've ever been to in my life.  My friends know how to do it!

Callie is a good friend of mine from college.  She went to high school with my other great friends from college, Miranda, Kiesha and Annie.  She moved to Colorado with her husband a couple of years ago, and is now pregnant with their first child.

Miranda, Kiesha and Annie, along with Callie's sisters, mother and another good friend threw her this shower on Saturday.  They asked me a while back if I would make a cake and cupcakes for the shower.  Of course I agreed!

Friday was actually the birthday of one of mine and Josh's best friends, Derek.  Derek was a great friend of mine in high school and on into college.  When Josh and I started dating in college, he and Derek became good friends and wound up living together for a few years with another good friend, Jordan.  So we went out to eat with Derek, Jordan and a couple others for Derek's birthday Friday night.

After dinner, I dropped that crew off at a bar and headed over to Miranda's house, where Callie's shower was taking place the next day.  She and a big group of girls were out to dinner as well, so she left me the code to get into her house.  When I walked in, it smelled fabulous.  I went into the kitchen and discovered the source of the wonderful aroma.  The most beautiful flower arrangements topped her island.  Oh, they were right up my alley.  The arrangements were nothing but green and white - white lilies, white stock, and gladiolas.  Beautiful.  I had white and green at our wedding with a touch of lavender.  Lavender tulips.  But other than that, it was white lilies, stock, gladiolas, bells of Ireland... white and green.  I love that.

I made myself comfortable in Miranda's guest bed and looked forward to waking up to a house full of great ladies (Miranda's husband and twin girls spent the night away so us girls could take over for the weekend).

So the next morning I woke up at 7am.  Thank goodness, I heard Miranda talking to someone in the next room.  I hate being the first to wake up when I'm not at home.  I don't really want to get up, 'cause I don't live there and can't do too much, but then I hate lying in bed awake.  So I got up and went into Miranda's room where I found her, Callie and Callie's friend Emily all piled up in Miranda's king bed.  Miranda was laughing at the fact that the ones that were up so early were all the moms (Emily has two children).  It's a curse.  Even when you get the chance to sleep in as late as you want, you can't.

We enjoyed some coffee, cinnamon rolls, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit... Miranda always has it covered.  And we got to work.  I wasn't actually a hostess, so I didn't know what all was going to be taking place.  I soon found out that lunch was a sit-down meal that was being catered right out of Miranda's kitchen.

Miranda had all her furniture moved out to make room for the guest tables that were set so beautifully.


The beautiful flowers that I already mentioned, fine china and sterling silver, and for our napkins, Miranda made all these different burp cloths for the baby.  They were all different and so cute!  Some were monogrammed, some had the baby's name (Lillian), and some were just adorable fabrics.  So the napkin at each place was a handmade burp cloth.


Let me tell you, I felt very wrong bringing that thing to my mouth to wipe it!  And I wasn't the only one having that problem.  We didn't want to mess them up!

This is the guest of honor, Callie, with her mom and grandmother:


For lunch, we started with mimosas and an incredible cheese plate, hummus (oh my gosh, I could eat my weight in that stuff), dried fruits, nuts, dolmas, and grilled shrimp skewers.  Then we had salad with grilled chicken or salmon and roasted vegetables.  Everything was so good.


The cupcakes were a hit too.  Callie's sister is the one that I spoke to about doing them.  She sent me a couple pictures and told me that the colors were lavender and gray.  She said Callie didn't care what kind of cupcakes they were.  I decided on red velvet with cream cheese frosting and devil's food with almond buttercream.  It turns out that red velvet is Callie's favorite.  :)


We made these little birds that were going to be attached to a limb to make a mobile that will hang in the baby's room.  Some were definitely interesting!


Callie got lots of nice things.  I made her a tag blanket with her colors, lavender and gray, along with a box of necessities (diapers, wipes, baby wash and lotion).

I had to leave shortly after the gifts were opened - I had two (or three) boys waiting for me at home.  The girls were still planning on casting Callie's belly, but I couldn't stick around long enough for that, unfortunately.

It was a very, very nice shower and I had such a nice time visiting with the girls.  I wish Callie and Eric all the best with their first little one, Miss Lillian.

No comments: