Saturday, May 23, 2009

Micro... hood?

This is probably not worth writing about, but it got under my skin, so I need to vent.

I just called the Home Depot clearance store in Austell to see if they have any microhoods. Is that term familiar to you, or does it sound like I made up a word? Anyway, it is a microwave that mounts above your range and serves as the vent hood. Josh and I need one for the green house, so I called to see if they had any at that clearance store before we drove out there.

Home Depot customer service representative: "Thank you for calling Home Depot in Austell, how may I assist you?"

Me: "I was wondering if you have any microhoods."

HD: "MICROHOODS?!?"

Me: "Yes, a microwave that you mount above your stove?"

HD: (with a chuckle in her voice) "We have range hoods and we have over the range microwaves. Which one do you need? You took the two words and put them together to make one word." *chuckle*

Me: "Okay, the over the range microwave is what we need. I'm sorry, I thought they were called microhoods."

HD: *chuckle* "No." *chuckle*


So now I'm going, okay, have Josh and I really just been making up a word to call those things all this time? We've never had one of our own, so we're actually not that familiar with them, but I could have sworn I had heard people call them microhoods.

I was getting ready to research them online anyway, and Sears was going to be my first stop because I feel like they might have better prices than the do-it-yourself warehouses. I put "microwaves" in the search box and up comes a ton of options for MICROHOODS.

At that moment I had to keep myself from picking up the phone, calling that girl back and saying, "You idiot. You made me feel like I was stupid when it's you that is stupid. They ARE called microhoods, thank you! Remember that next time, before you laugh at someone else and make them feel about 2 inches tall."

But of course I didn't. What I did do, though, was get on Home Depot's website just to make myself feel even better by seeing that they are called micrhoods at Home Depot too; her place of employment. Well, what do you know. Search for "microhood" came up with no results. At Home Depot and Lowe's they are all called "Over the Range Microwaves."

Oh well. At least I know I didn't just "take two words and put them together to make one word." *chuckle*

No comments: