Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Glory, Glory to Old Uga (Cake)!

Well, here he is! We had such fun putting him together and Uga-fying him! I printed a picture of Uga and was very careful to get the details right.


He got a studded black collar, and I even decided to include the Nike swoosh. I really wanted to make his little pendant too, but too little time. That might have been a little overboard.


Josh did his face, and even though it's super simple, I'm happy with it. Rather than try to make it look realistic and risk making a mess with black icing, we just decided to keep it simple. His eyes and nose are made out of gumpaste, and the mouth is just black icing. Josh really wanted to make a pink gumpaste tongue, but we decided to leave it alone.



His collar is black gumpaste with silver dragees. Dragees are those little silver things that look like bb's. They're made of sugar, so they're completely edible. I ate my fair share at Montessori when I was little. They had an activity in which you were supposed to spoon the dragees from one bowl to another. Who knows how often they had to refill that bowl. We all ate them.


The rest of him is vanilla flavored buttercream. Although the red probably didn't wind up tasting too much like vanilla. You wouldn't believe the amount of food coloring we had to put in that stuff to make it the right red! And it still probably could have been a little darker, but it was starting to mess with the consistency of the icing, so we said good enough.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the cake starts at the back of his head and goes all the way to his butt. There is a flat spot on the form that the cake sits on, and then we carved the cake to look like his actual back and bottom. Even his little tail is cake.



We have a boxwood that we clipped in order to get the "hedges" that he's standing on. Are the hedges at Georgia actually boxwood? I don't know, Google it.

Anyway, we were pretty proud of our boy. Anybody need an Uga cake for an event? We'd love to recreate him! I would be MORE than happy to make him for any of you Lovvorns! You know you love him! :)

10 comments:

Lauren said...

OHHHHHH!!! I love it!!! He looks so amazing! Job well done!

Kara-KSS Photography said...

incredible, Marcie! I saw the pic of it on Facebook--it was for a girl named Audrey's wedding, right? Too cool!

Marcie said...

Yeah, it was Audrey Van Nus and Brandon Burris's wedding. Do you know her? I went to school with Brandon, but I don't know Audrey.

Kelly said...

That looks great! Y'all are rivaling Ace of Cakes. How much do y'all charge for this cake? I work with many UGA fans that may be interested.

Marcie said...

This was $383.50 plus a $50 delivery charge. It serves 81 people. I know that's a weird number, but that's how they calculate slices for wedding cakes. It is $3.50 per slice, plus $100 for the use of the form and labor (because we have to decorate that whole dog, not just the cake).

Camille said...

This is AMAZING, Marcie!! Tell Josh good job too! I wish I had a reason to order this cake but I don't/ Believe me, if I ever do, I will be calling you. Unreal!!

Ashley said...

That's so awesome! And I personally think it looks better than the other attempts that were made at making a color Uga. I love the face and like that it is more simple. The ones that try to do all the black on there just end up looking kinda weird.

It's amazing! Maybe I will order one for my child's first birthday (whenever that happens) just to make my husband mad :)

Traylor Lovvorn said...

Oh sure sure sure we would LOVE it! I am just disappointed you didn't design UGA with a BLACK jersey on! ;)

missjorjapeech said...

i love this cake!!! do you still rent out the form for this cake? we are getting married oct 17, 2009and i'd love to have a groomscake similar to the one you made! how do i contact you?

Marcie said...

missjorjapeech: You can e-mail me at mmg13@comcast.net. We do still rent the form and can also make the cake for you, depending on where you are. Thanks for your interest!