Thursday, January 20, 2011

Space Rocket and Canasta Cake

Remember the Thomas/Cars cake I did a couple of months ago for a little boy named Davis? Well, I did his brother's first birthday cake a couple weeks ago. He actually turned 1 in December, but they didn't celebrate it until this month.

His mom sent me a picture of the napkins and plates, and I made the cake keeping that theme in mind. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the final colors on this cake, but it was cute anyway.


A family friend did the little smash cake for him.

A couple weeks ago, a neighbor called and asked if I could do a cake for her Canasta group. I have never played Canasta, so I told her to tell me exactly what to put on the cake. She said to write "Keep those melds coming" and explained that a meld is 7 like cards that you lay down.

So I did exactly that. I chose the '3' card, because I thought it'd be one of the easier cards to do - less chance of making a mistake. Plus, my favorite number is 33. :)


Their group was supposed to meet last Tuesday evening. Well, if you'll recall, last week was - dun dun DUN - WINTER STORM 2011. So it didn't happen. She called me and asked if I could freeze it, because even though she only lives a couple blocks down the road, there was no way either of us could have gotten in or out of each others' driveways. So into the freezer it went.

She called me a few days ago and let me know that today would be the day that the Canasta group would finally meet. So I took it out of the freezer allowing plenty of time for it to thaw and she picked it up today.

I've heard of people being snowed in and stranded, but this is the first time I've had a cake snowed in. Ha!

No comments: