I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I work a couple days a week as a nanny for a good friend of mine from college. She had twin girls last May and in September, I started coming to her house two or three days a week to allow her to continue her job part time. It's been a pleasure keeping the girls - and maybe a good little trial run for what I'm about to be faced with again in May. :)
Anyway, I usually bring my lunch from home. But occasionally, Miranda will call me while she's out and bring something back for me, or Josh will be in the neighborhood and will come by for lunch. There are a few good places to get food from around here, but there is one that will always be my first choice. It's a place called Carver's. I've never actually been there, but from what I've heard, it seems to be a little mom and pop 'meat and two' place. They serve all kinds of different vegetables and casseroles and they are all wonderful. And, again, if you know me, you know that I would be just fine if I were told I couldn't eat another bite of meat for the rest of my life. I could live on vegetables if I had to. Easily and Happily.
So whenever I get the chance to eat Carver's, I jump on it. The only problem is - well, there are two problems. 1) They only take cash. 2) Josh never carries cash. That presents a problem when Josh calls and says, "Hey, I'm in the neighborhood; you want me to bring you lunch?" and I say, "Of course! Bring me a big ol' plate of collards, broccoli casserole, lima beans and mashed potatoes with gravy from Carver's!"
So, because he doesn't have cash to pay for it, we wind up with something else or with me just eating whatever is was that I brought from home that day. Sad, sad story.
Josh and I were talking about this dilemma recently (probably a week or two ago, when he last offered to bring me lunch). He said, "Why don't you just hide some cash in my car, and then next time I tell you I can't get Carver's because I don't have any cash, you can say 'Yes you do; look *here*.'"
So guess what I did this morning? Yep! I stashed a twenty dollar bill in Josh's Hilti truck. Of course I can't tell you where because Josh does occasionally read this blog and then next time he called and I wanted Carver's, I'd be all "Ha ha! You do have cash! Look *here*!" And he'd say, guiltily, "Uh, yeah, I read your blog and used that on gas." Or "...on the lottery." Or "...on beer."
I doubt he would really do that, but just to be safe.... I will not disclose the location of said twenty dollar bill.
Well, it's almost noon. Let me go heat up the plate of leftovers I put in Miranda's fridge this morning...
The Best Spiced Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping
2 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment