I don't remember whose idea it was to give him the Tootsie Roll Pop to play with, but one of us did. It was still in the wrapper, and it was just supposed to occupy him and keep him happy while he (we) enjoyed the rest of the parade. Well, silly (stupid) us didn't consider the fact that the little man already has 8 teeth and that the wrapper was not made of steel. It wasn't long before Bennett had his first taste of sweet, sweet candy. He hardly ate any of it; just enough to make a mess of himself and me. But what better item for it to be than a Tootsie Roll Pop?
For any of you that don't know, the Tootsie Roll Pop has been a staple in the McLeod household for a very long time. I can picture Daddy (whether it be 10 years ago or last night) sitting on the sofa with his feet propped up on the ottoman, watching a movie with a Tootsie Roll Pop in his mouth and about 3 balled up wrappers next to him. The very first time I saw him on my wedding day, there was that little white stick in the middle of his proud grin. Just today, I looked out the window and saw him over at Grandpa's house on a lawnmower with one sticking out of his mouth. I think rather than putting a handkerchief in his hand or a rose on his chest, we'll put a Tootsie Roll Pop in his mouth at his funeral.
ANYWAY, the point is, that was the perfect first sweet for Bennett, and if he didn't enjoy anything else about that parade, he enjoyed his first (and second) Tootsie Roll Pop.


No comments:
Post a Comment