Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Black and White Vintage Lace Cake

I have a folder on the computer named 'Cakes.'  In that folder are all the cakes I have done, the cakes I have upcoming, and also an additional folder called 'ideas.'  The 'ideas' folder is where I put all the pictures of cakes I come across that I want to try one day.  Cakes that I love.  This is one of the cakes that has been in my 'ideas' folder for a while:


I just love it.  I had an opportunity to do a version of it for my grandparents' 70th wedding anniversary.  It just wasn't black and white.

Well, last week my mom got a phone call from a family friend wanting a last minute cake for her daughter's 30th birthday.  I was there when she got the call, and when she hung up she said, "If I bake the cake, do you want to decorate it?"  That sounded like a plan to me.  I had already promised several people "no more cakes" after my little episode (until after the pregnancy, of course).  I don't think I mentioned it in that post, but I had done two cakes that weekend, and as much as I enjoyed doing them, they about did me in.  But I figured I could squeeze this one in with no trouble, especially since I wasn't having to bake it.

Mama told the lady that I would be decorating it and to go look at my facebook 'cakes' album to get an idea of what I do.  I know who the daughter is and used to see her at Fabiano's when Josh and I were regulars there.  I always admired her attire; she was very stylish in a vintage kind of way.  Since the lady didn't say how she wanted the cake decorated, I thought I'd keep that in mind when deciding on a design.  Well, she called back after having looked at my album and told Mama that "Katie is a little funky."  Mama told her what I had said about her being stylish in a vintage kind of way, and she said, "Exactly."  She also added that Katie likes black and white.

So my mind immediately went back to that cake.  It's got the vintage style lace, and the black and white version is just so gorgeous to me.

Now, I pride myself on being able to make a cake better than the picture that I'm given, but in this case I can't say that I've done that, by any means.  But I do love the way it came out, and she was very happy with it.

2 comments:

katzkake said...

Hello do you have a contact email address to inquire about cake ordering?

Marcie said...

Hi! Yes, you can e-mail me at mmg13@comcast.net. Sorry I'm just seeing this... I just had a baby last week and am just now getting back into the swing of things! :)