Friday, September 16, 2011

Gender Reveal Cake

For the first time ever, I made a cake for myself.  Okay, maybe it wasn't exactly for me, but I was the client.  If I had made it for me it would have been either devil's food cake with buttermilk icing or yellow cake with Mama's chocolate icing (the best stuff in the world).  But for this cake, I needed it to be able to be dyed either pink or blue because it was a gender reveal cake.

Heard of this?  It's kind of a new trend.  People go to the doctor at 20 weeks, have their ultrasound, and instead of the technician telling them what they're having, they have them write it down and seal it in an envelope.  The to-be parents then take the envelope to their local baker and have them make a cake that is either pink or blue on the inside.  Then they can have a big party (or just invite their parents to their front porch like we did) and everyone finds out the gender of the baby when that first slice is cut.  I think it's a really cute idea.  Even if the parents go ahead and find out, it's a neat way to tell your family and friends what you're having (which was the case with us).

The plan was actually to tell everyone Monday night.  Every Monday, Josh and I take turns with my parents having each other over for supper.  Whoever isn't making supper brings dessert.  Well, this coming Monday is my parents' turn to make supper, so it's our turn to bring dessert.  I've known for a while that I would be bringing this cake for our dessert.  I was going to invite Josh's parents to join us so that everyone could find out together.  

I wasn't even going to tell anyone that our doctor's appointment was Thursday morning, because I knew they'd all be expecting to find out asap.  Well, I wound up having to tell because Bennett had a stomach bug this week and was home from school Wednesday and Thursday.  Josh could have stayed home with him, but he really wanted to be there with me to find out what we were having.  So I called my mom and asked if she could come over for a little while so that we could go.  

And of course, as soon as we got back they wanted to know.  I told them they'd have to wait a little while.  But I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it in.  Neither would Josh.  We're not very good with secrets, and one of us would have let it slip.  So I decided to go ahead and make the cake and we invited my parents over last night.  I still would have liked to have had Josh's parents over, but Josh is going to be out of town all weekend on a boys' trip, and like we already determined, it couldn't wait until next week.

So here is the cake I made yesterday; my first Gender Reveal Cake.

To my dismay, Josh, my dad, and my friend Miranda (who saw a picture of the cake last night) thought the feet were pink.  They're supposed to be flesh-colored.  I guess I need to work on that, since that would totally defeat the purpose of the cake.  But the only color I used to tint the fondant was brown, so it's kind of weird that it would appear pink.  Oh well.

Here's a video of the cake-cutting.  Drum roll please......

5 comments:

Lauren said...

So. Stinkin. Excited. Love you guys!! :)

Rachel Rem said...

Okay, that is just Awesome

One thing you could do for the feet - make one pink, and one blue, and put question marks on each foot.

I agree, it looked pink, BUT I realized that it was because it was flesh colored.

Beautiful cake - beautiful mom, beautiful family.

Let me know if you need anything "girly" I have fairy wings out the door.

Marcie said...

Thanks, Rachel! Yeah, for the feet Josh suggested making them green. I said, "Green is a boy's color." But I guess lime green would work. Or chocolate brown instead of 'tan.'

Krista said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you guys are thrilled!! :)

dinisha said...

Marcie, I should read your blog more often. My FB comment seems really stupid now. I didn't realize it was a gender reveal either because I also thought the feet were pink! I am so excited for ya'll!