Saturday, June 4, 2011

Over the River and Through the Woods

To Grandmother's lakehouse we went!

(Josh's grandmother, that is.)

Yep, it's lake season!  Woo-hoo!  It was last year that I really, really, began to enjoy the lake.  I mean, I've always enjoyed going down there with Josh and his family, but once we had Bennett and he got old enough to really enjoy it, it became so wonderful.  We made several trips down there last year, and I hope we can do the same this year.  Memorial Day weekend has always kind of kicked off the season for us, and it was no different this year.

We go to Jackson Lake, which is about 20 minutes or so from McDonough, where Josh's grandmother lives.  Josh had a meeting at the corporate office on Friday, and the corporate office just so happens to be located in McDonough.  So rather than have Josh drive down to McDonough for his meeting, drive back, pick us up, then drive back down south of McDonough, we decided to go on to his grandmother's house on Thursday night.  She lives in an assisted living facility, so her house is vacant.  It was perfect - Josh could wake up, drive 10 minutes to his meeting, and then drive 20 minutes to the lake once the meeting was over.  Lynn and Steve were coming down Friday morning to pick up me and the boys and take us on to the lake.

We didn't get out of Douglasville until it was almost dark, so it was definitely dark by the time we got to McDonough.  Very, very dark.  It had rained (and actually, hailed at our house) before we left.  Nothing too severe, but there was a small storm that passed through.  Well, anyway, once we reached the square in McDonough, the traffic lights were out.  We continued on towards Nana's, and the streets and houses were unusually dark.  We kind of started going, 'uh-oh.'  Then Josh said, "Ugh.  I just saw someone with a flashlight in that house."  We hoped that maybe Nana's neighborhood would have power, but no such luck.  Darkness.

Long story short, it was dark.  It was hot.  The windows were all nailed shut, so we couldn't even get a breeze (yes, we tried to open them - they weren't budging).  The candles we hunted down made it so that we could see, but they also made it hotter.  We had two boys that were tired and wanted to go to bed.  I take that back.  We had two boys that were tired, but only one of them really wanted to go to bed.  Cannon was hot and tired and cranky.  Bennett was hot and tired, but loving every minute of our "fun" adventure.

We finally just gave up, went to bed, and I woke up COLD.  The power had come back on in the night, and boy, there's nothing wrong with her A/C!

So Josh went to his meeting, and Lynn and Steve showed up to get us.  We first went to visit Nana at the assisted living facility.


She has a drawer full of beads that the children always enjoy playing with.  Lynn started putting some on Bennett, and Cannon wanted in on it.  So, she and Bennett helped him out.


Then, on to the lake.  No big, long story to tell here.  All that needs to be said is that we had a great time, and we have on our hands a little dare-devil that isn't afraid to try anything.  Bennett went from jumping off the side of the dock into someone's arms, to getting a running start off the end of the dock while we all watched from dry ground.  He tubed by himself; didn't even want anyone to come with him the first time, and after watching Josh kneeboard, he said to me, "I want to do that!"  So Josh let him lie down on the kneeboard with him while Steve pulled them.  They rode until Josh's arms gave out.  :)

We're seriously thinking about purchasing some training skis for him.  I think he'd totally do it, and I love that!  I was never that way about trying things, and I have never wanted that to rub off on my boys.  I'm glad to see that, so far, so good.

So without further ado, here is our trip in pictures:


























No comments: