Thursday, August 6, 2009

Orientation

So this morning, Bennett and I headed to Montessori for "New Toddler Orientation" before their first actual day tomorrow. It was from 9 to 12, so we got there promptly at 9am. I was looking forward to seeing how Bennett would interact with the other children, and eager to meet some of the other parents.

When we walked in, Bennett immediately took off and started exploring. After speaking with the teacher for a little while, I realized I wasn't supposed to hang around. This was time for the students and teachers to get to know one another. So, after my confusion subsided, I headed back out the door without even telling Bennett goodbye. I just didn't even think about it. I was so comfortable with the environment he was in and he seemed to be just fine, so I just left. I'm glad I did, too. After working at Kids R Kids, I know how it can be when the parents want to hang around and cling to the kids.

So I hung out at Mama and Daddy's house until noon, since they live near the school. I know that wasn't the best use of my time, but I was still a little scattered feeling, not knowing that I was actually dropping him off today.

I pretty much just twiddled my thumbs (almost literally) until 12 o'clock rolled around. I was right on time to get him. His teacher said he did very well, and that at snack time he walked around the table taking a piece of everyone's snack, one at a time. Hmm... that's not exactly "very well." Guess we're going to have to work on that.

They were outside playing when I got there, so she went out onto the playground to bring the children inside, and I waited at the top of the stairs. I saw the assistant walking across the playground holding Bennett's hand on one side, and another little girl's on the other. He squinted as he looked up towards where I was, and after taking a few seconds to make me out, he said, with a big smile on his face, "ma-MA!" He sounded like a little Italian child. It about made me cry, but I held it together.

As we left, he just happily told everyone, "Bye!" and let me carry him out with no fuss. Got in the car, drove home, he laid his head on my shoulder as we walked inside and upstairs, washed his hands, read a book, and down he went. He was pooped.

What a big day for him!

And it's what the next two weeks will be like, then we're off to Florida for a week, and when we get back, he'll go to a full day there. Oh, how things are about to change.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I'm so glad it was a good day for him!