Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pushing My Grammatical Buttons

So I just spent a little bit of time reading about Jon and Kate Plus 8, because Josh said he heard something today on the radio about how there is something out about Jon that will make you not like the show. I'm not usually one to go search something like that out, but since I just happened to be sitting at the computer already and I occasionally watch that show (maybe once a month), I googled it. There are people out there saying that he's cheating on Kate. Whatever. Who knows if he is or if he's not. It's certainly not for some journalist to say. This is not my point.

My point is that it is really sad to realize the education level of readers of these celeb-following blogs. I read an article on Glamour.com (no, no link to it. I do not condone pointless reading. And no, reading blogs of your friends and your friends' friends is not pointless. It may start to get pointless when you find yourself having navigated 5 or 6 pages away from where you started, but still not as pointless as trying to figure out celebrities' personal lives.)

Okay, just let me start that one over. I read an article on Glamour.com about whether or not the Gosselins are exploiting their children. Then I read the comments. Oh, no. How sad is it that we now live in a world that tracking reality show stars is more important than passing English 101? Or even more sad... that you can pass English 101 not knowing how to speak proper English, and it's probably because your teacher doesn't know either.

Ugh. Check out some of these comments (just parts of them, of course):

"... so what if she asked for it , a lot of ppl in this world ask for help .. i know i have had to better. Yea i believe she has got free trips and free stuff but thats just cause she has dont something only 13 other women in this world has and she is not the only one who has asked for help on tv or who have receieved free stuff. look at the duggers or who ever they are. look at the new house they just built... wonder if they did it all by theirself. "

"... I have noticed that kate has always been a little diffrent. She is great mom and i think trys to be a good wife .... the family dose their best to provded for them the best that they can. I Do agree that they did need a bigger house i dont think that they needed to spent all that money ...I just purchesed The 3rd season of jon and kate plus eight and Their house is just filled with love in that season. and in this season their house is much to big to be filled."

"To each is own."

"There no different than any other reality celebrity ... Just like know one knows for real unless they are in that house what really goes on ... How do we know that Aunt Jodi wasnt being gready herself ..."

"Who cares what this women did or did not do to get the things she wanted ... Their HER kids and they can do what they want. "


WOW. That's about all I can say. I'm almost embarrassed to call myself an American sometimes.

Okay, so no more web surfing for anything about a celebrity. I don't care if Josh says I'm out of touch. Not doing it. It's too depressing.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

This is funny because it's sad. It makes me think of the little blurb at the end of one of the stories from last month's Reader's Digest. The woman said she ran into a former student working at a restaurant, and the kid said, "You was my English teacher." Hahaha, oh. :o(